Split a physical COM port
Virtual Serial Port Driver PRO provides an easy way to split one serial data stream into several ones and redirect them to multiple remote applications or devices over the network.
Let’s imagine you have a GPS sensor connected to a real serial port COM1. Your goal is to send data from this sensor to two or more navigational apps, for example, Coastal Explorer, Electronic logbook, etc. With the software, you can split you real COM1 into several virtual ports and establish a communication where the data coming into the split physical port will be sent to each of the virtual interfaces (COM2 and COM3) and programs connected to them.
In order to split your port, you’ll need to follow a couple of simple steps:
- Install Virtual Serial Port Driver PRO and start it on your computer.
- Once you launched it, open the "Split" tab.
- Choose a real port which will be split.
- Then select virtual ports that will connect to the split real port within a single bundle. Click “Add port” every time you need to add a new virtual COM port to your bundle.
Also, you should select a virtual port which will be set as the main one and click "Set main".
- Finally, click “Add split port” and your bundle of one real and several virtual ports will automatically appear in the Bundle tree.
Now, your GPS sensor will be able to exchange data with multiple applications at a time. Received by your sensor, the data will be redirected to virtual interfaces and vice versa.
Virtual Serial Port Driver PRO
Version 9.0.270 (12th Apr, 2018) Release notes